Complaints Procedure

Parents who are concerned or unhappy about anything regarding the school should contact the school sooner rather than later.

Minor issues should be referred to the child’s class teacher.  If the matter remains unsolved then the Head Teacher should be contacted.

Serious complaints must be referred to the Head Teacher in order that in depth enquiries can be made.  If parents are not happy with the response they should submit their complaint in writing for the attention of the Chair of Governors.

A parent who does not gain satisfaction through this process should contact the Local Education Authority.

Contact Us

Penmaenrhos, Swn Y Don, Colwyn Bay
Conwy, LL29 9LL

Tel: 01492 577290

NICE in all we do - Nurturing interest caring about everyone.


A happy, secure and friendly environment

where children can learn and grow as individuals.


Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.